Warm and Hearty Chili
Photo by Basheer Tome under CC
Warm & Hearty Chili Recipe
Prep Time: 20 min Cook Time: 40 min
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 (15.5-oz) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15.5-oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15.5-oz) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (28-oz.) can fire roasted tomatoes
- 3 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp. chili powder
- 1/2 cup cricket powder
- 1 tbsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. oregano
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Classic garnish: Shredded cheddar, sour cream, cilantro
- Southwestern garnish: Lime wedges, baked tortilla strips, cilantro
- In a large pot over medium heat, heat olive oil then add onion, bell pepper, and carrots. Sauté for 5 minutes. Add garlic and jalapeño and cook until fragrant.
- Add tomato paste and stir to coat vegetables. Add tomatoes, beans, broth, and seasonings + cricket powder. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Garnish and serve.