Mighty Mushroom Meatloaf
This delicious recipe was made for a family for Christmas dinner. There were meat-lovers and entovegans present at the table, and both parties loved the dish! It's even better as leftovers, as the flavors meld together and the nuts soften beautifully. A frozen slice can go straight from the freezer and into the frying pan where it will crisp nicely. Try using smoked Gouda cheese in place of Swiss cheese for additional flavor.
- 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup vegetable stock (optional)
- 1 cup walnuts (raw, unsalted)
- 1/2 cup cashews (raw, unsalted)
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 ounces shiitake mushrooms, finely chopped
- 3 ounces baby bella mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 Tbs fresh flat-leaf parsley, minced
- 1 tsp dried marjoram or 1 Tbs fresh, minced
- 1 tsp dried thyme or 1 Tbs fresh, minced
- 1 tsp dried sage or 1 Tbs fresh, minced
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 12 ounces Swiss cheese, grated (Gouda or white cheddar cheese also work well)
- 1/2 cup Mighty Cricket 100% Pure Protein Powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Roasted red pepper pesto or spread (optional for serving)
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Prepare 1/2 cup dry brown rice according to packaging (we like to use vegetable stock in place of water for more flavor).
- Place nuts on baking sheet and toast in oven for 8 minutes until golden brown. Remove and let cool.
- In a skillet, heat 2 Tbs olive oil over medium. Add onions and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, mushrooms, parsley, marjoram, thyme, and sage. Cook about 5 minutes, until the mushrooms are golden. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, lightly beat eggs. Finely chop nuts with a knife or food processor and add to eggs. Add mushroom mixture and remaining ingredients. Stir until well combined.
- Line 9 inch loaf pan with parchment paper. Spoon mixture into pan and bake for 1 hour. Let cool in pan for 20 minutes. Invert loaf and serve with roasted red pepper pesto or spread. Refrigerate or freeze leftovers.
This recipe is a modified version of: https://www.acouplecooks.com/vegetarian-meatloaf/