Mac N Cheese
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hr
- 1 pound shell pasta
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons powdered mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup 100% Pure Mighty Cricket Powder
- 6 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 4 ounces Monterey jack cheese
- 4 ounces mozzarella
- 12 ounces sharp cheddar divided
- 1/2 cup panko
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Shred the cheeses, keeping some cheddar off to the side for the topping.
- Cook the pasta al dente. Rinse and let cool.
- Add the butter to a large stockpot and melt on medium-low heat.
- Add the flour, mustard, cayenne, paprika, and cricket powder and stir together until fully combined.
- Add the milk slowly while stirring.
- Add in the salt and pepper and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat.
- Remove 1 cup of the milk mixture and let cool in the fridge. Add the egg to the cooled milk and whisk it well until fully combined.
- Turn the heat on the pot back on to medium-low.
- Slowly pour the egg and milk mixture into the rest of the milk while stirring
- Add in the Monterey jack, mozzarella and 1 cup of the sharp cheddar and stir.
- Add the cooled macaroni back into the pot and toss with the cheese sauce.
- Pour into a 9x13 baking dish and top with the remaining 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese and panko.
- Bake for 30 minutes, uncovered.